Ennui for free

Welcome to my blog! It should be smooooth sailing, folks ... I'm kidding. It shan't be - at least I hope not. Upsetting? Perhaps. Neurotic? Probably. But I assure you that it will always remain far from unreadable. In all earnestness, please enjoy. I hope this isn't a waste of your time ... because I'll admit to you, - friend, stranger, critic, etc - with my heart, beating, vulnerable and moist on my sleeve - it will never be a waste of mine.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

My date with my cousin Nicole!

I did another cool, very San Francisco thing today (and with Nicole in tow! . . . easily one of my favorite people in the world)! We talked to each other the night before and were both pretty bummed about various things, not the least was that we have really been missing our loved ones. And so I suggested that we go to this thing that I'd discovered somehow. We ended having the funnest day walking around the city with a suitcase of free clothes and finding wonderful food on this wonderfully cool and mild day. =)

It was a clothing swap event. We showed up with a huge beach bag and a SUITCASE of our old clothes, paid the $5 entrance fee and started diving through piles of clothes on big tables. Each table had a crowd about 3 deep and it just seemed like an orgy of arms. Grabbing, pulling clothes out of the piles, eve flipping over entire piles of clothes to bring bottom dwellers to the surface. . . in other words, my idea of fashion heaven . . . it was awesome, better than Buffalo Exchange, easier than Ross or Big Lots and the thrift store. And it was all free! The crowd had a few older folks, but mostly SF hipsters. All the people who, as Nicole and I have, wholly embraced the idea of recycled clothing mostly through Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads. I felt like I was actually rummaging through my own closet at some points. I found pieces that seemed to be totally me, I didn't have to buy them or commit to them, and they didn't even all smell like cat pee! Although later, Nicole said she had, at one point, found the cat pee pile.

People tried on clothes everywhere, in front of mirrors, anywhere. Most women didn't really care about taking their shirts off, either. There were these two flamers. A lady was dumping yet another bag of clothing unto a pile, and instantly there was a shrill yell from one of the gays who had spotted a full slinky mermaid halter gown completely covered in blue sequins. He threw his arms straight up in the air so that his friend could pull the thing over his head, and over his clothing. Another lady came to their aid by adjusting the halter and making sure they properly laced the back. Even more than simply finding the gown itself, this guy was soooo amazed that the dress had yet another thing to zip or lace or tie. It was pure entertainment.

I think I came out with 4 great sweaters, a dress, 2 wool-y type skirts, an office-y blouse and a great black denim jacket. And they all actually fit me. HA! Also, our $5 admission came with a drink ticket for the bar, there was on site screen printing and tailoring, an awesome DJ named Poolboy and the remaining clothing went to charity. So why, do you ask, was this a very San Francisco thing to do? Well I'm thinking that - in truth - it's something that could really be done anywhere cuz it's the coolest event to organize. Win win for all involved. I think that every city should organize events like these, I'l be back in November for the next one!

We had taken BART and a 1 minute bus ride to get to the art space where the event had been held and since we had brought a roll-y suitcase it was easy to just walk about the Mission district afterwards. The Mission district is probably the coolest part of the city for me. It's not overly artsy or even overly hip and I always have fun when I go. It's full of book stores, seemingly all lined up in a row, the shopping is totally uniqu - whether it's vintage or new - and it's just such a diverse area. I think I saw a place serving food from Senegal! After hitting up the thrift store - which seems like something Nicole and I were born to do - we ended up at this cute little place called Wierd Fish, and had really great catfish sandwiches and sweet potato fries.

Another thing we rean into: a block party full of bikers celebrating a BIKE FILM FESTIVAL! Where else would there be a whole film festival about bikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home