Ennui for free

Welcome to my blog! It should be smooooth sailing, folks ... I'm kidding. It shan't be - at least I hope not. Upsetting? Perhaps. Neurotic? Probably. But I assure you that it will always remain far from unreadable. In all earnestness, please enjoy. I hope this isn't a waste of your time ... because I'll admit to you, - friend, stranger, critic, etc - with my heart, beating, vulnerable and moist on my sleeve - it will never be a waste of mine.

Friday, July 27, 2007

I don't even leave my dog in the car for more than 45 seconds.

I couldn't get this news story out of my head. . . . The thing is that I've been working more Cocktail shifts at work instead of working just room service and ofcourse, a big part of waiting tables (especially for me) is forgetting about things. As in everything. From bringing someone extra chopsticks when they've dropped theirs to remembering to actually type in someone's order or spilling drinks. (I have day-mares about this actually. I've been pretty traumatized by it even though the guest who I spilled the $15 glass of Rombauer chardonnay on was really nice and didn't seem bothered by it much. In fact, he gave me a hug cuz I looked stressed over the spill and the large party of 12. His friends joked with me the next day too. I love happy hour people btw. They're never really too drunk and they're always happy cuz they're no longer at their shitty job.)

So yeah. This puts it in perspective you know. I'll have one table where I've practically done everything right, they love the food, picked the right wine. Last night, a lady from Hawaii went from pretty chatty to a hugger by her third Grey Goose. She gave me her card in case I was ever in Hawaii, and urged me to go to this free show in the city. And then the table next to them was dirty looks galore and I was just dreading the time that I'd have to approach them again. All over a dropped chopstick.

This guy forgot to do what could simply be called an "errand" and ended up royally screwing up his entire life. Forget the possibility of prosecution and jail time. This guy's life is over. Because of a simple act of forgetfulness.

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_207011854.html

UPDATE: Not really, but, I've moved from Whole Foods to Peet's. (My life in a nutshell, really . . . the good news is that there aren't as many yuppies in here as usual. I think the Starbucks across the street does a good job of filtering them out. The even better news is that the laptop/studying for a test guy near me has head phones on and is blasting Dancing Queen by Abba.) ANYways, I just read in the Chronicle about more of that story. Interestingly, the headline is, "Don't think it can't happen to you". And it makes me think more. Yes it's true. Sometimes I get in bed and realize that I've forgotten to feed my dog. Half the time I leave for work realizing that I'd forgotten to eat enough to last me the next 5 hours. Forgetting things is a big part of life, of course. But do we really need the newest Volvo to be equipped with a communicator telling the the driver that it has detected a heartbeat left in the car after the alarm has been enabled?! Or $90 car seats with similar functioning weight sensor pads? Good lord.

The worst part is that the front page article even includes a box of tips on how you can be reminded that you have a child. One of them suggests to place a stuffed animal in your passenger seat as a marker for you to remember your back seat brat. Another suggests that you leave your purse or lunch bag in the back so that you never leave the car without opening the back. But then again, I always forget my lunch at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home