Ennui for free

Welcome to my blog! It should be smooooth sailing, folks ... I'm kidding. It shan't be - at least I hope not. Upsetting? Perhaps. Neurotic? Probably. But I assure you that it will always remain far from unreadable. In all earnestness, please enjoy. I hope this isn't a waste of your time ... because I'll admit to you, - friend, stranger, critic, etc - with my heart, beating, vulnerable and moist on my sleeve - it will never be a waste of mine.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

a few product reviews

... Cuz product reviews are fun and helpful.

I'll say it again ... I got a new MacBook! YAY! So I decided to invest in all the accessories... I found this keyboard protector made of Japanese silicone for only 10ish dollars. They usually run at least 20. This one is really thin, yet strong and made especially for this model. I habitually lift it to see how much stuff that it has already prevented from floating down into the innards of my computer through the side of the all the keys. Very good investment because no one wants to crack open their laptop and feather dust abound every electrode of their very pricey Mac machine. Or pay someone else to do it. . . . When I run into more monies I'm definitely getting the RAINN laptop stand. Oddly, it seems to be the only one that looks good for real 'lap top' use. Not odd is the price: 80 bucks.

Another recent purchase was out of necessity, bet John would raise his bushy eyebrow and a skeptical smirk to that. But that's ok because I bought a PURPLE AND PINK VACCUUM! Again, YAY! It was only $129 at Target, and I, along with the 80 other reviewers on target.com, think it's just wonderful. It works great, is very powerful (ok, that more or less means that it's really loud, but I like loud). The dirt chamber and the bottom brush head is clear for easy cleaning which is what we need because we are hairy people. Others have said that it sucks on bare floor, even when you switch it to the bare floor option. It actually spits out debris. Painful when your floor is full of hardened rice grain. But vaccuuming bare floor always feels wierd anyways. Anyways, vaccuums are something that really need attention, but seem to really give you many good years if you just do simple maintenance fairly often. . . I usually clean out the brush head at least every 3 vaccuums. And I usually empty out the dirt canister every time. It makes is suck harder. Everytime. :]

Now, since this is my first review entry on my blog I want to end with a product that I have really hated - just short of loathed, really. I call it a white person's rice cooker. The only reason why I say that is because if you're gonna buy a rice cooker it should be Asian. I'm not going to explain this, because it needs no explaining. But I was duped and I allowed myself to make this horrible purchase which I could not return because it was out of box, blah, blah. Looking at Amazon reviews, I guess some people really do like it. Why do I own it and use it? Well, It looks good on the countertop and it's a Cuisinart. Because of these two reasons, I trusted the purchase to be a smart one. Also, it retails for like 50-60 dollars and I got it for 40 because it was a floor sample at Robinsons-May when they went belly up. Sigh. So, almost every single aspect of this product sucks. This is prolly gonna get wordy (because, well, it's me. And this is about someing that cooks my carbs) so imma get my list on right now.

PROS

It's small and light. I like light things especially when they're things that I have to wash and/or move a lot.

It has no other PROS except that it looks cute on the counter cuz it's stainless steel and says Cuisinart and has a square footprint!

CONS
It took more than a few tries to figure out how IT wanted to cook MY FOOD! It requires a tad less water than most cookers. And by tad I mean "an impossibly untangible, very hard to measure amount", which I only determine by primal Asian instinct. I couldn't explain it in words, but only I know how to measure the water. But still, a year or two later, I still produce a horrible, horrible batch of rice every other week or so.

It scratches easy.

When trying to remove the steamed food from the steaming hot steamer insert, your hands get steamed and burned because there's just no easy, safe way to do it.

The glass lid is just a shitty design. It basically will slide off when the pot is tilted even just a little bit = more steam burns and the possibility of it crashing / shattering on the floor.

It just doesn't cook well. And that's it's primary function! Almost all of the cooked rice comes out with a somewhat hard center. We usually just leave the cover on for a good 10 minutes before serving to get a little more cooking time in.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL...you are so freaking funny. I almost commented on your previous blog with this same comment, but I wanted to read more. I'm glad you started writing this. Remember how I told you you should start one after you wrote about what a ditz you were or whatever? Yay.

    -Sharon (<-- That's so I don't have to make an identity.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home