Ennui for free

Welcome to my blog! It should be smooooth sailing, folks ... I'm kidding. It shan't be - at least I hope not. Upsetting? Perhaps. Neurotic? Probably. But I assure you that it will always remain far from unreadable. In all earnestness, please enjoy. I hope this isn't a waste of your time ... because I'll admit to you, - friend, stranger, critic, etc - with my heart, beating, vulnerable and moist on my sleeve - it will never be a waste of mine.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Hippie rant (1 of many): Water is killing us

I'm sitting here in front of Whole Foods and I feel bad for buying a bottle of water. I almost never buy bottled water. Even before the world was all eco-conscious I knew that it was a big waste of money and plastic and that it was just plain silly. Sure, Smart water tastes freaking awesome, but what I usually see is people going to Costco and buying crates of tiny ass bottles of Kirkland water. As if that stuff isn't just tap water. And then people don't reuse the bottles as much as I think they should. Some people don't even use it as a "to go" thing. They drink it at home! Grrr! So if I buy water, I usually get a big bottle, and make sure it's suitable for refillin' and reusin' at least a dozen times. I did that today. Bought a pretty, curvy cute bottle of water to go with my indian food, mostly because it was a cute bottle and not expensive.

After my meal I realize that the water was bottled in New Zealand. The other thing about bottled water is transportation. Liquid is heavy, which means transporting it everywhere is an enormous oil and pollution problem in itself. This bottle alone is so heavy that I use two hands to drink it. This water is pretty great, and not bad for how much I paid for it, but in the end, it's not worth its real cost in anyway. No water is, unless your dying in the desert or you've got to wash poop off your hands.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:34 AM, Blogger Mike Guardabascio said…

    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/27/ap3960953.html

    it's not just kirkland that comes from the tap....

    bottled water is one of the biggest consumer scams ever, top to bottom, no exceptions. it drives me nuts to see people drinking it in long beach especially, which has some of the best tap water in the country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home